Bump physique

Plugin help

Point to a word Floor, Frame, Foam, Skylight, or Dome to highlight that part of the image. For the Bump physique imaging, get flash icon Flash 3+ plug-in is required. If you cannot use Flash, alternatively, see this page with all graphics, no Flash.

Bump was a dome. The physique relates mostly to the lost and found (lostNfound) aspect of why this page is under Trips/Imagine/RitualSpaces/lostNfound/EIE/Bump. See Bump as a temporary art sketch that I found and lost. But I retained the intrinsic value: the meaning. This page shows Bump from above, during construction. See also the finished Bump from the eastern side.

side

Frame

In the Domebook 2 recipe for a Bamboo Dome, 12 great circles overlap spherically. The dome uses only 5/8 of the sphere. Following the directions on page 95, I bent 8' aluminum tubes to the curvature of a 16' diameter circle. Wires through holes drilled across the tubes held the frame together. (See all the Domebook instructions here. See the "Dome Assembly" section for chord factors to make your own model.)

Floor

The Bump context page explains the copper wire and earth anchor foundation that held the dome in place. Also the three levels of the floor. Here you see level three, the stained glass work area. The bench, a ladder, and stool are visible in this picture.

top

Skylight

I framed the skylight with five boards at the tips of the five-pointed star at the top of the dome. In the photo, see OMlulu sitting on my bed in the middle. In summer, elasticized mosquito netting fit over the boards. For winter rainproofing and warmth, a five-sided aluminum frame covered with heavy vinyl fit nicely over the boards. Hinges on one side let me raise the vinyl for ventilation or emergency escape hatch. I also framed doors: side and front.

Foam

foam formsI had made shipping forms of polyurethane foam in SF and NY. Working with the foam is an artistic experience in its own right. After mixing the resin and hardener, you have about three minutes to pour the foam before it sets. The swelling liquid seems organically alive, exuding toxic fumes. One day I lined them up along a path in the woods and had an abstract expressionist painting spree. The convex exterior sides were splashed blues and greens of sky and forest. The next day I turned them over and painted the concave interior sides white.

I cut rubber wedges from car tires as washers to prevent wire cutting through the foam when I attached each panel to the upper hemisphere of the dome frame. I left a row of windows around the south side equator. A vertical slit pierced the north. Beside the door a wooden box wired onto the frame with acrylic sheet back served to hold glass samples for coloring and design. The irregular windows were acrylic too. Between the foam forms I spread more foam in place, like icing a giant cake. This worked for insulation. However, rainwater found each pinhole that wasn't plugged, keeping me busy patching leaks the first winter.

A 100 lb. roll of roofing was the heaviest item I hauled to the site. I struggled to unroll it around the base of the dome and attach it to the side door frame. Within that I tacked sheets of soft foam covered with cloth for padded walls.

While leveling the site, I found Jerusalem Crickets (large insects), which I tossed downhill. Continue with the finished Bump from the eastern side.

{Back to top of page}

Send comments by clicking the ... link below:
lich...@wholeo.net

{Wholeo Online} ~ {Trips} ~ {Imagine} ~ {Ritual Spaces} ~ {Lost and Found} ~ {EIE} ~ {Bump}


© 2003, 2008 Caroling All rights reserved. Last modified: 2008-10-12